An Army veteran grabbed his mother around the neck and shouted “you’re dead” years before killing a Britain’s Got Talent finalist, a court heard.
Desmond Sylva, 41, stabbed his partner Simonne Kerr more than 70 times in August 2018, the Old Bailey heard.
In March 2010 he had been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent to his mother, but the case was dropped.
Sylva has admitted manslaughter but denies murder, claiming his depression impaired his mental function.
The court has previously heard Ms Kerr, 31, was attacked at a flat in Clapham, South London, with a kitchen knife after she returned from work at Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital on 15 August.
In a witness statement read to the court, Mr Sylva’s mother Patricia King said in 2010 he had been staying with her and had been upset about the prospect of his then wife not returning from Germany with their child.
While she was reading a text message, Mr Sylva grabbed her round the neck saying “help help”, the court heard.
Ms King responded: “Sparrow, it’s me your mother,” and he allegedly replied: “Mother, you’re dead.”
Jurors were told he put his arm around her neck and put his fingers down her throat to stop her calling for help.
He forced her to the ground and straddled her as he continued to say “mother you’re dead”, the court heard.
Prosecutor Louise Oakley said Ms King told police she remembered “blood coming from her mouth before she passed out”.
Mr Sylva was charged in relation to the incident in March 2010, but Ms King withdrew the allegation, saying she was not willing to give evidence against her son.
Jurors have heard Iraq war veteran Mr Sylva had served in the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers between 2002 and 2012 before he was discharged on medical grounds.
The trial continues.
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Lord’s (day one)|
|Middlesex 138: Harris 38*; Wiese 5-26|
|Sussex 169-4: Salt 50; Murtagh 3-34|
|Sussex (3 pts) lead Middlesex (1 pt) by 31 runs|
Middlesex were skittled for just 138 by Sussex on day one as the visitors took early control of the game at Lord’s.
Sussex seamer David Wiese starred with 5-26 and paceman Ollie Robinson claimed three wickets with only James Harris (38 not out) passing 20 for Middlesex.
Captain Dawid Malan, who has been in superb form this season, was one of five batsmen to edge behind for 15.
Sussex closed on 169-4, a lead of 31, with opener Phil Salt (50) one of three wickets for Irishman Tim Murtagh.
Harris gave Middlesex a late boost by removing Laurie Evans lbw for 31, but Stiaan van Zyl went to stumps on 46.
Charlton Athletic have offered new deals to Joe Aribo, Patrick Bauer, Jake Forster-Caskey and Tariqe Fosu after winning promotion from League One.
Centre-back Bauer, 26, scored the 94th-minute goal which sealed a 2-1 win over Sunderland in Sunday’s play-off final.
Meanwhile, Josh Parker and Jonny Williams are among six players who have been released by manager Lee Bowyer.
Nicky Ajose, Mark Marshall, Ben Reeves and Igor Vetokele will also leave The Valley when their contracts expire.
Forward Parker, 28, and Wales international Williams, 25, both featured against the Black Cats at Wembley.
“They are all different reasons as to why we haven’t offered those lads contracts,” Bowyer told the club website.
“Obviously they’ve played a massive part in last season and that was probably the hardest part of any discussion I’ve had since being in charge.”
Door ‘half open’ for Williams
Bowyer says financial reasons are behind the decision to release midfielder Williams, who joined the Addicks from Crystal Palace in January and has already been the subject of rumoured interest from Championship side Swansea.
“Jonny came from a Premier League club who were paying most of his wage,” the 42-year-old said.
“For us to get close to what he was on before is just impossible.
“He’s going to have other clubs that are interested in him. If the money isn’t what he’s looking for, or if there is any way we can get close to it, then we will be speaking to his agent.
“It’s not like we’ve shut the door on him – it’s half open.”
|Specsavers County Championship Division One, Edgbaston (day one):|
|Warwickshire 275-8: Norwell 58*, Hain 47; Dunn 3-59|
|Surrey: Yet to bat|
|Warwickshire (2 pts), Surrey (2 pts)|
Warwickshire fast bowlers Liam Norwell and Henry Brookes transformed the first day at Edgbaston as they shared an unbroken ninth-wicket stand of 89 to stun reigning county champions Surrey.
After slumping to 186-8 despite gritty knocks from Sam Hain (47), Will Rhodes (39) and Adam Hose (38), the Bears were set to go without batting points again.
Instead, Norwell slammed 58 and Brookes made 35 as Surrey’s attack wilted.
The pair both belted some fine shots to reach the close unparted on 275-8.
That earned two batting points, plus the prospect of a potential third in the morning, which would double the Bears’ previous haul for the season.
Prior to that, on a weather-affected day which brought two separate short breaks in play, injury-hit Surrey’s bowlers had dominated, including three victims for recalled fast bowler Matt Dunn.
After being put in to bat, a painstaking first half-century stand of the season for Bears openers Dom Sibley and Rhodes was ended by veteran spinner Gareth Batty, who removed both in successive overs just before lunch.
But after Dunn had seemingly put Surrey right in control, Norwell, on his home debut, and Brookes transformed the contest in the final hour.
They started to go for their shots when Dean Elgar came on for an over of spin just before the new ball was due – and 17 came from it, capped by two sixes in three balls from Brookes.
But they then kept up the attack, twice taking 16 off an over from South Africa paceman Morne Morkel, thanks to seven boundaries off in the space of 11 deliveries off him from the free-spirited Norwell.
Warwickshire all-rounder Liam Norwell told BBC WM:
“Henry and I are both naturally quite attacking players so we just played out natural game and played our shots and luckily it came off.
“It was a mixture of good shots and a bit of luck. I rode my luck at times but it was just good to be out in the middle with Henry. He is a lot of fun to bat with.
“The lads up top did the hard graft. Now we are in a pretty strong position and we have just got to focus in the morning and try to get up to 300 for that third batting point.”
Surrey fast bowler Matt Dunn told BBC Radio London:
“All day, the bowlers worked so hard together. We knew it was going to be tough but everyone bowled in partnerships and bowled for each other.
“It was a shame that it just got away from us a little bit at the end because we were in a great position but I think we would have taken this at the start of the day.
“It is great to be back in the team. I am so proud to wear the Surrey badge. It is everything to me. It is nice to get out there again and perform.”
A controlled explosion has been carried out on a World War Two bomb found near Kingston University, the Metropolitan Police said.
The unexploded device was found on a building site on Thursday morning.
Nearly 1,500 homes were also evacuated and the Met warned some may be without gas and electricity while surveyors carried out checks.
Police cordons in the Kingston area will remain in place while the site is assessed, the Met added.
The controlled explosion was carried out by the armed forces’ specialist Explosive Ordinance Disposal team.
On Thursday, Kingston Council confirmed two polling stations being used for the European elections had to be shut while the bomb was being dealt with.
Students and staff from Kingston University’s Penrhyn Road and Knights Park campuses, as well as the University’s nursery and some student halls, have been affected by the cordon.
|Specsavers County Championship Division One, Beckenham (day two):|
|Surrey 439: Jacks 120, Borthwick 95, Clarke 88 & 11-0|
|Kent 294: Dickson 128; Batty 3-49, S Curran 3-54|
|Surrey (8 pts) lead Kent (5 pts) by 156 runs|
Kent collapsed after tea to hand the initiative to defending champions Surrey on the second day at Beckenham.
Kent were 227-2 in response to Surrey’s 439 all out, but fell to 238-6 with Gareth Batty dismissing Heino Kuhn and Ollie Robinson in consecutive balls.
Opener Sean Dickson compiled an excellent 128 for the hosts before he was dismissed by Sam Curran with the new ball as Kent were all out for 294.
Surrey closed on 11-0 in their second innings, leading by 156.
After adding 19 to their overnight 420-9 in the morning, Surrey’s chances of picking up their first win of the campaign appeared to be fading on a pitch that had flattened out under sunny skies.
But 41-year-old off-spinner Batty (3-49) turned the game either side of tea, first bowling Daniel Bell-Drummond for 37 and then finding the edges of captain Kuhn and in-form Robinson.
Right-hander Dickson, who had only made 85 runs in six innings in 2019, looked at ease against an attack that included England all-rounder Curran (3-54) for the first time this season.
However, with wickets tumbling around him, he eventually nicked Curran’s opening delivery with the second new ball behind to leave them 272-8.
Matt Milnes and Harry Podmore did manage to take Kent past the follow-on target of 290, although they face an uphill battle to avoid a third defeat in four matches.
Leicester Riders won the BBL Play-offs title for a third season in a row by beating the London City Royals 93-61 in the final at the capital’s O2 Arena.
Leicester’s defensive intensity again proved decisive in a final as they held London to just 25 second-half points.
Tim Williams led Leicester’s scoring with 20 points and Jamell Anderson and JR Holder added 17 and 14 respectively.
Matthew Bryan-Amaning crowned a fine season with 19 points for the Royals and Orlan Jackman added 16.
The Royals stayed in touch in the opening two quarters with a Leicester side that has regularly won trophies in the last five years and their former Great Britain player Bryan-Amaning looking to make his presence felt close to the basket towards the end of the first half.
Down just 44-38 when Jackman scored the first basket of the second half, the Royals then conceded 11 unanswered points in a run triggered by Leicester’s Holder and Williams.
After the Riders went on a further 11-2 run, inspired by three-pointers from Anderson and Pierre Hampton, the Royals were 24 behind and they posted just 10 points in a third quarter in which the final was all but decided.
Riders continue dominance
Leicester’s win – in their sixth final in the past eight years – is their third play-offs title and equals the feat of Kingston, Worthing and Newcastle, who also scored hat-tricks in the play-offs.
Leicester coach Rob Paternostro said he had expected a closer contest but believed his team’s improvement in the second half of the season, after the rigours of their European campaign, had been instrumental in the win.
“Coming into the play-offs we became more of a group that was locked-in, especially on defence,” he said. “I’m super-proud of how locked-in mentally they were.
“We just thought that we had to get back on defence – we felt that when our defence was set up, we were going to be really tough to beat in this game. There weren’t many adjustments to make.”
Royals coach Jay Williams said: “We struggled with consistency throughout the season but in the big games we showed up – but today we just didn’t.
“Hats off to the Riders – they came out and executed their game plan and they were consistent the whole time through.
“We played hard but we didn’t play smart and the Riders exploited that. But the main thing is – we didn’t show up.”
Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek will miss the Europa League final after rupturing his Achilles tendon in a charity friendly in the USA.
The 23-year-old went down clutching his left ankle in the first half of Chelsea’s 3-0 win over New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.
Chelsea said the player had seen a specialist on Thursday and will now have surgery.
Chelsea play Arsenal in the final in Baku on Wednesday, 29 May.
England manager Gareth Southgate had earlier confirmed Loftus-Cheek would miss the final when announcing his squad for the forthcoming Nations League finals.
The player had been in the squad – but Southgate was forced to call up a replacement after learning of his injury.
“I went to bed last night and Ruben’s in the squad and playing brilliantly,” Southgate said.
“He misses now a major European final and a brilliant opportunity for us.”
He added it was a “huge disappointment” for the Chelsea man.
Loftus-Cheek scored in the second leg of the Blues’ Europa League semi-final against Eintracht Frankfurt and has been directly involved in nine goals in his past 15 competitive appearances for Chelsea.
Wednesday’s friendly raised £3.1m for organisations which combat hate crimes.
Ross Barkley scored twice either side of an Olivier Giroud header in the comfortable win in Foxborough.
Prior to the game, Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri had expressed his concerns about travelling to the US so close to a major European final.
Britain’s Cameron Norrie was knocked out in the second round of the Italian Open following a 6-2 6-2 defeat to 13th seed Borna Coric.
Norrie, 23, was the only British male to make it through to the second round after beating Australia’s John Millman.
Coric converted two of his four break points to win the opening set and broke again twice in the second to win in less than an hour in Rome.
The Croat will face Swiss Roger Federer or Portugal’s Joao Sousa next.
British number one Johanna Konta takes on American seventh seed Sloane Stephens in the women’s second round on Wednesday.
Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri says the club must respect Eden Hazard’s decision about his future but is hopeful the forward will choose to stay at Stamford Bridge.
Hazard has scored 16 goals for the Blues this season and has been strongly linked with a summer move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
The 28-year-old says he has made a decision over his future and has informed the club.
“I hope he will stay,” said Sarri.
“I think Eden has played here in Chelsea for seven seasons, trying in every match to do his best and now it’s time to respect his decision.”
Hazard has just a year left on his contract having joined from Lille for £32m in 2012.
Chelsea fans held up a banner before Sunday’s Premier League finale against Leicester, pleading with the Belgian to stay.
After a substitute appearance in Sunday’s 0-0 draw at Leicester the Belgium international revealed he has made the club aware of his decision.
“Yes. A couple of weeks ago. Yes I have made my decision but it is not just about me,” said Hazard. “I have made my decision, that’s it.”
When asked if his future will become clear after the Europa League final against Arsenal on 29 May he added: “I think so. We have a final to play and then I will see.”
Hazard also admitted he wanted his future resolved earlier to avoid it being the season-long saga it has become.
“Yes, I wanted that but that’s not happened. I’m still waiting like you are waiting and like the fans are waiting,” he said.
“When you are on the pitch, you try to be focused on the pitch with the ball. That’s it. When I am on the pitch I just try to do the best.
“I am not thinking about this and this, my situation or the club’s situation. I just try to win games.”
Sunday’s point means the Blues finish the domestic campaign in third place after Tottenham drew 2-2 with Everton.
Next up is the Europa League final in Baku, Azerbaijan.
“The season is good,” added Sarri.
“We were in trouble two or three months ago but third place is a very good result.
“Now we have to go to Baku for the Europa League final and we have the chance for our season to be wonderful.”